Friday, November 8, 2019

Layton’s Legacy Card Drive

In honor of her own much-missed children, Lea Lawson is collecting sympathy cards for NICU parents who have lost their babies. I really wanted to participate this year, because two families close to my heart have NICU stories.

Some dear friends had boys with twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, and after a difficult pregnancy the boys were born three months early. The oldest and smallest twin lived only seven days, and the younger, larger twin was in the NICU for about four months. He has just celebrated his first birthday, but he still has a lot of health issues that require surgeries and regular hospital visits. Last week, I sent off this first card to the family in remembrance of the twin that they are missing.


I made an identical blue one as well as one in peach to send to Lea for the card drive.


Just last week, one of my childhood friends had to induce her firstborn a month early on account of fetal growth restriction and pregnancy risks. The baby seemed fairly healthy at first, but he has developed several complications that the doctors still haven’t been able to diagnose. He’s currently in the NICU and may be for some time, and they’re having to drive in to see him every day. This next card is heading off to her this weekend.


On a design note: I’m not a fan of how it turned out; there isn’t enough contrast between the colors I picked, so it looks flat and very crowded. My friend loves aquas, so I tried to create a palette around that. Since I only have one aqua in my collection, I paired it with a light blue and a light green, and those just don’t differ enough in saturation. If I made it again, I’d trade out the Celadon for Fairy Floss.

Since I already had my stamps out and a pattern perfected, I made three more cards with a different sentiment to send to some other people who need encouragement. In addition to making another with the same blues, I created two with a cozy, autumnal brown color scheme on flecked cream paper. I’m much happier with how that turned out, even if the ink pad was a bit too juicy for the teeny sentiment.



Also, I want to thank Susan for inspiring the design for these cards. I don’t have the same stamps she has, and I didn’t CASE any of her designs exactly, but mine are very much inspired by her series of wildflower silhouette cards. You can find the ones I took the most inspiration from here, here, here, here, and here.


Supplies
Stamps:  Cleary Besotted “Simple Silhouettes”;  The Ton “Beautiful Butterflies 1”;  Simon Says Stamp “Tiny Words
Ink:  VersaColor Atlantic, Smoke Blue, Celadon;  WPlus9 Fairy Dust;  Memento Cantaloupe, Summer Sky;  My Favorite Things Insulation Pink, Peach Bellini;  The Ton Peach Blossom, Blue Diamond, Coral Cavern, Warm Hazelnut, Found Topaz, Aspen Cocoa
Paper:  Papertrey Ink Stamper’s Select White, WPlus9 Oatmeal

Dimensions
4.25” x 5.5”

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.